Monday, October 13, 2008

Brown v. the Board of Education

If you are not familiar with it, Brown v. the Board of Education was a landmark case in the civil rights movement, which abolished racial segregation in school.

The quote that I wanted to share that relates directly to this case comes from Linda Brown (the daughter of Oliver Brown, the main plaintiff in the case):

. . . like I say, we lived in an integrated neighborhood and I had all of these s of different nationalities. And so when I found out that day that I might be able to go to their school, I was just thrilled, you know. And I remember walking over to Sumner School with my dad that day and going up the steps of the school and the school looked so big to a smaller child. And I remember going inside and my dad spoke with someone and then he went into the inner office with the principal and they left me out . . . to sit outside with the secretary. And while he was in the inner office, I could hear voices and hear his voice raised, you know, as the conversation went on. And then he immediately came out of the office, took me by the hand and we walked home from the school. I just couldn't understand what was happening because I was so sure that I was going to go to school with Mona and Guinevere, Wanda, and all of my s...

What was the racial segregation really about, besides pure selfish pride. And although racial segregation is not as rampant today, why do some in today's society feel that we need to uphold our own selfish endeavors? Why can we not accept the simple, yet powerful outlook of Linda Brown, and outlook where nothing of that kind matters and we are judged on who we really are?

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Alas, if only it were that easy. You can say that people should do this, you can say that people should do that, but at the end of the day, you can't change human nature which is to put people into groups, and ultimately, pick one as a scapegoat for all thier crap. I mean, just look at the Jews! They have been scapegoats for centuries. People will always segregate. It's just what they do.

Célie said...

omg did u hear about how mr. westover is sueing the school (my paretns) for changing the grades last year? it was in the news paper. . . so now my parents have to go to court and yea . . it's really retarded